RE: Usability abuse?

Subject: RE: Usability abuse?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:29:06 -0500

There is no implication in my understanding of what Geoff wrote that you
would be the *only* person offering feedback. Surely there should and will
be others; but to say that your feedback is worthless is unreasonable, in my
opinion.

> > Geoff didn't say that it was, and I think he clearly made the
> > distinction, saying that valid user feedback can be helpful
> along with
> > formal usability studies.
>
> ...if you know what to do with it. Most people do not.

Most people aren't in a position to act on usability issues; we are talking
about the ones that are, and if they're employing usability experts,
presumably they will listen to them. Individual sources are not worthless,
though.

> > Again, he's not saying this is a replacement for usability studies.
> > He's saying that both usability studies and individual feedback are
> > important in ascertaining *actual* usability.
>
> But that is not a correct statement. Individual feedback *can
> be*, but seldom *are* the individual info bits relevent to
> anything but how someone would like the product changed to
> their benefit.

Not necessarily. Usability experts aren't perfect; they may overlook
something that an individual finds.

> > > And frankly, I think you're misleading writers saying they can do
> > > this with no training or experience. They can't and they
> shouldn't.
> > > We should not be encouraging inexperienced writers to go sticking
> > > their noses into an area of design and development that
> they are not
> > > qualified to do.
> >
> > I didn't get the impression he was promoting what you say he was.
>
> I certainly did, which is why I also replied in opposition to
> Geoff's post.

I don't know how you got that impression; though, perhaps *I* am misreading
him. I didn't hear him say that individual feedback is a replacement for
usability studies, though.

> > Feedback is generally not considered to be griping.
>
> TomAto, tomAHto... It all depends on how it's presented and received.
> Most customer feedback *is* griping. Not to say it's wrong
> for them to provide such feedback, nor to say that all
> griping is not valuable, but let's call a duck a duck here. ;-)

But here we're talking about a technical writer who's attempting to document
the software, not a typical user who's mad as hell and isn't going to take
it anymore.

> > > proclaiming from a
> >
> > Technical writers do this with great success all the time.
> It's very
> > easy, actually.
>
> I find that many technical writers are actually quite poor at
> providing this type of feedback to their project teams. It's
> amazing that someone whose job is to develop a successful
> message can botch good project relationships by not
> considering their internal audiences as well. Not to say this
> is an epidemic case, but it happens more so than not.

I suppose I've been lucky in having good role models, then. ; )

> > If you're documenting a product and can't find a simple feature, or
> > driving an automobile and can't see out the rear window properly,
> > you're an authority on using the product in your particular
> circumstances.
>
> Which may or may not be relevant. If I'm using Word to create
> mechanical drawings and can't find what I need to properly
> scale the drawing, I'm not using the product correctly.

Did you see where I said "a simple feature"?

> Likewise, if I've turned my rearview mirror into a coathanger
> or curio hook, I'm not using it correctly to see out the rear window.

That was not at all the scenario offered. The scenario was normal use.

> > If a software element is hidden or too complicated to get
> to, you'd be
> > negligent in your job as a technical writer if you didn't
> mention it.
>
> But this isn't a usability issue, per se. It might be, but it
> isn't always the case.

What kind of issue do you think it is, if not a usability issue? The line
between usability and design is inherently blurred.

> > If a GUI issue comes to my attention that I feel needs
> talking about,
> > I don't hesitate to ask a developer about it and explain my
> concerns.
> > I've found that most people view questions about GUI as
> just another
> > topic; nobody feels threatened.
>
> All well and valid, and you should continue to do so. But,
> this type of feedback isn't necessarily a replacement for or
> a portion of proper usability practices. In fact, how you
> present this info to the team may be counter-productive to
> usability goals!

Nobody said it was, did they? I don't think so. Certainly I didn't. I am
only countering the view that such feedback is worthless. ; )

> > I feel it's a disservice to my client if I ignore things that may
> > cause ultimate market rejection of a product. Asking never hurt
> > anyone, and the notion that developers think I'm "jamming my nose"
> > into design issues because I ask a question or offer an
> opinion that
> > something is a bit difficult to find is an unjust projection onto
> > developers of unreasonableness.
>
> There's nothing wrong with that. However, please bear in mind
> that there are many writers out there who work on a day to
> day basis not knowing the make or break points of their
> market's acceptance of a product, nor would they know good
> software design from bad. It's all relative, which is why you
> need someone in place to keep all this in mind and be the
> stop-gap for all product feedback and user testing.

Absolutely. I could not agree with you more. But they, in turn, need to be
adjudged qualified to make those judgments.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com