Re: Moving from IBM to Mac

Subject: Re: Moving from IBM to Mac
From: David Knopf <dklists -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:25:14 -0800

on 11/12/2004 12:07 PM eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

David Knopf wrote on 11/12/2004 02:42:26 PM:

on 11/12/2004 11:30 AM Sarah Stegall wrote:
RTF is a proprietary -- and some would argue anachronistic
-- file format.

FrameMaker's .fm and .mif are also proprietary file formats. However,
with Frame 7.1, you can use XML as the native file format. XML is a
standards-based, non-proprietary format.

But why suffer the limits and compromises of the non-proprietary format for your everyday work?

Use binary FM files but with a plan to migrate when necessary to XML.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was by no means recommending that all FrameMaker users adopt XML as a native file format. If you are using FrameMaker to create XML as part of an XML publishing workflow, however, you gain nothing in particular from the .fm format.

Regards,

--
David Knopf ~ Knopf Online ~ www.knopf.com

Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly with business inquiries or comments.

Consulting & Training for Technical Communicators
RoboHelp ~ FrameMaker ~ WebWorks ~ Structured Authoring ~ XML
WebWorks Publisher Certified ~ Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker
Moderator, HATT, wwp-users & Techshoret

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com