Re: HTML Editor

Subject: Re: HTML Editor
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:35:13 -0500

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:05:10 +0100, Jennifer wrote:

> We are thinking to purchase DreamWeaver for webpage creating. Does anyone
> recommend this? (It is fine to send this information to me privately) If you do not
> recommend it, do you have an editor in particular that you use and could recommend?

Dreamweaver is an excellent choice. It has a very well thought-out
interface, a feature list as long as your arm (crucially, including
very good native support for Cascading Style Sheets in the latest
version) and it allows you to switch between a WYSIWYG-type interface
and hand-coding pretty seamlessly. Best of all, it doesn't mess with
your manually-coded HTML and Javascript, unlike some other editors
(notably Microsoft Frontpage.)

I think you would be very happy with it. I have used it for years,
since version 3, and regard it as one of my favorite tools.

However, if you just want to do some simple HTML pages, it may well be
overkill. At $400 a copy, Dreamweaver is not cheap. There is,
however, a free download (30-day trial) available, so it costs nothing
to find out whether you like it.

Note that there are some pretty good free and low-cost HTML editors
out there. The Mozilla web browser has a very lightweight and
minimal, but competent, HTML editor built in; it's called "Composer."
It has but a tiny fraction of the features of a program like
Dreamweaver, but it's free for the asking. There's also an editor
called CoffeeCup that is free-to-try, $49-to-buy, that also seems to
be well thought of.

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com