Colored code?

Subject: Colored code?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:34:09 -0500

Simon North wonders: <<The tools I am documenting require me to include software code. Our editor has color highlighting (red, blue, green), which will be familiar to many of you. My manager wants me to use the same color highlighting in the documentation (and online help).>>

My first reaction is that it'll be so flashy as to be unusable, but that's just me; it's been many years since I programmed (as a rank amateur), and preferred my code in black and white, with minimal or no highlighting. If the editor your target audience is using follows this color convention, then you're doing that audience a favor by relying on their learned knowledge: they already know how to interpret the color efficiently.

One devil's advocate question: Is the color coding standard and fixed, or does each programmer choose their own color preferences? If the latter is true, then adhering to an arbitrary color code may do more harm than good: it will only be easily comprehensible by those who have used the code. Programmers being somewhat independent-minded, I'd wager that most have overridden the program defaults and chosen their own color coding.

<<I have tried fending it off on the grounds that it would be labor intensive to do...>>

If you're using a word processor or Frame, you should be able to define the coloring as part of the paragraph style (for entire paragraphs) or the character style (for lines and smaller chunks of text such as HTML tags). Simply create separate styles for each type of code, and define the appropriate font color or highlighting, as the case may be.

<<...not to mention the extra QA work...>>

If your authoring tool has any kind of decent search tool, you can search for code snippets based on character patterns that identify code--there's usually one or more recurring themes, such as the < > tagging in HTML and the ; at the end of lines of Pascal code. By searching for these patterns, you can easily find all the text that need to have a style applied. If you're a skilled search and replace geek, you may even be able to apply all the formatting in a single global search and replace.

BTW, this same tip applies for many other kinds of editorial consistency, and can save enormous amounts of time.

<<We use discrete colors in the docs and online help, with which the bright colors of highlighting are going to clash violently.>>

That's more of a problem. The goal of the color coding is to communicate effectively, and if the surrounding colors interfere with this communication, then the color coding no longer works effectively. One possible compromise might be as follows: in the main help window, set the code in the same color as the surrounding text (black ink?), but make it clickable to display a popup window that shows the code in all its highlighted glory.

This accomplishes two important things: First, it presents the main help simply and effectively, while still making the highlighted version available for those who will benefit from it. Second, it facilitates QA because all popup windows can be formatted consistently using the colors that your readers will expect. You could also use screenshots for these popups (so the color coding would be automatically applied by the code editor without requiring you to apply the format), with the main help window holding the identical code sample as text that can be copied and pasted into a program for modification by the programmer.

<<My manager wants to press the point and intends to put it out to a vote. >>

If the "vote" is actually a survey of the people who will be using the docs, this is a good thing: they'll tell you what works well for them. But try to do this as an actual investigation of their needs rather than as a "vote". You'll get better results if you understand why they prefer one approach over another.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com