Colored Code

Subject: Colored Code
From: Kate Stout <stout -dot- k -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:39:27 -0500

Context: I am a developer as well as a writer.
Love color coding in a code editor. Don't need it in the printout.

But let me tell you the first thing I do when I get a new code editor.

I go into the settings, and customize the coloring to the way that I like things. For example, the default color for method names might be green, and I might set it to red. And so on for the 15 or so items that I can set in the editor that I happen to use at the moment. It depends in part on the display of the computer I'm using - I'm looking for an appealing and clear contrast for the key elements.

So if you decide to go with this approach, you will have a second decision, which is what colors to use for which attributes. Someone suggested the use of css styles. That sounds like an excellent idea, as I forsee usability issues. And with a micromanager, I also forsee last minute changes.

A compromise position with this is to select a few of the key attributes to use in color. For example:
method names, comments, variable names. You can experiment with this within the code editor by going to the place where you set the colors, make most things black, and then set just a few things, and see how they appear.

One other, non-color coded approach is to use bold and italic. Comments in italic. Method and possibly variable names in bold. Much less garish, and generally serves the same purpose.

Still, if you can manage to avoid doing this, avoid it. You are correct in assuming that it will be labor intensive.

Kate Stout

Kate Stout Consulting
Making it Clear
http://www.katestout.com