[Fwd: Re: Can you suggest a way to manage this process?]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: Can you suggest a way to manage this process?]
From: "Lisa A. Roth" <roth -dot- lisa -at- jimmy -dot- harvard -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:49:58 -0500

Hi there,

Your story is the story of my life, albeit I don't usually have such a tight deadline.

As much as the WebWorks idea that someone offered is probably a good idea to improve efficiency later, I am not confident that messing with new software is the bext plan, seeing that your deadline is tomorrow!
We currently work with paper copies for precisely the logistical reasons you described in your message regarding tracked changes.

If I we you I would do this:
* Give paper copies for everyone to mark up by EOD with them being returned to you.
* Burn the midnight oil processing the changes and making a matrix of any conflicting feedback.
* Schedule a meeting NOW (to give advance notice) with all involved for mid-morning tomorrow, at which time you will discuss with them any conflicting opinions on particular pieces of text and seek a consensus.

One element that I must stress, though, especially with your schedule, is that not every single person will possibly be able to review every single change recommended by someone else. There's just no time for that, and when time is tight, decision-making is needed--not a re-opening of issues that were officially decided long ago (but perhaps not to the satisfaction of all involved). There needs to be an understanding that X person is the expert on topic Y, and his/her changes will be implemented without a round robin asking every other person in turn if it's OK with them.

If your situation is such that all seven are the experts on the entire subject (unlikely but possible, I guess), then you could so it this way:

* Assign each person a section/chapter/whatever to mark up explicitly but still hold each person responsbile for reading the entire thing. Any changes a person wants to recommend OUTSIDE of his/her assigned section must not be marked up on paper yet, but rather discussed in tomorrow's meeting. This might help cut down on the conflicting opinions.

Just a few thoughts -- The first strategy works well for me; the second is an off-the-cuff idea. I have to do this all the time!

O'Shea ,Elizabeth wrote:

I have to send a document for review today to seven different reviewers. The
impossible goal says all their comments and changes have to be reconciled,
implemented, and signed off by tomorrow evening.
We use Word. Track changes has been on since the content owner edited the
existing document. There have been substantial changes. There will be more
substantial changes when the reviewers get the document, and seven different
people will be making them.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com