Re: Turn on / off - Switch on / off - Start up / Shut off etc

Subject: Re: Turn on / off - Switch on / off - Start up / Shut off etc
From: Greg Holmes <greg -dot- holmes -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:28:19 -0500

"Broberg, Mats" wrote:

>Any suggestions for a clear and unambigious term
>for "energizing" / "de-energizing" a piece of
>equipment?

>I'm trying make my instructions and procedures
>as clear as possible, and use terms and language
>in a consistent way. When reading other technical
>writers' manuals, I see the following variations:
>
>- Turn on / Turn off
>- Switch on / Switch off
>- Start up / Shut down
>
>I don't quite like anyone of them.

Why not just be explicit?

=========
1. Place the YaddaYada switch in the "Off" position.
* You will see/hear/blah the effects of turning the
YaddaYaddaMaster off.
=========

Tailor to suit your specific situation. If
there is the slightest chance of confusion, use
a picture or illustration.

Greg Holmes

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com