Re: query re help

Subject: Re: query re help
From: "Crimmin, Peter" <Peter -dot- Crimmin -at- scansoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 09:59:50 -0500

I have engr co-workers who love the online help that comes with the
Microsoft application development environments.

That said, whenever I use online help I get circular, self-referential
information like this:

The Dofab feature places a "fab" at the current "Do" location in
your document.
To set up a Dofab...

For me, the problem is that writers address one learning style in their
information.. And I never seem to learn in the presented mode. There is very
little big-picture descriptions or diagrams in the online help that I
attempt to use.

Pc
========
Anecdote

I heard that Bill Gates spoke at M.I.T. (Cambridge, MA) recently, and some
students tried to hack his speech. (If you're not familiar with MIT hacking,
google it and enjoy the reading. Imagine waking up to a police car on the
top of the MIT Dome; or flying rockets and MIT streamers at the annual
Havard/Yale game.)

The hack was to unfurl a banner on the stage behind BillG. The banner showed
Clippy and asked, "Are you trying to give a presentation?" (MIT is a
Linux-based campus.)

The students got caught hiding in a closest before they pulled off their
feat. Too bad. I bet Bill would've had a good sense of humor on stage. Just
imagine Bill Gates flying home to his Seattle fortress, depressed, "Man,
they didn't even hack me."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com