Re: The state of State

Subject: Re: The state of State
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:20:18 -0500

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:47:57 -0500, oudeis <oudeis -at- tampabay -dot- rr -dot- com> wrote:

It's pretty frustrating. I understand how overworked and underpaid
most of the instructional staff (TAs and adjuncts are). ...

Professionally, I'm quite qualified to teach at our local community
college, in that I have a good understanding of writing and of
computer science, among other things. I've been doing this tech
writing stuff for [more time than I like to think about] and doing
it fairly well.

But EDUCATIONALLY I'm not qualified at all. Why? I've only got
a bachelor's degree, not a master's!

My wife took a course in accounting at the community college, and
found that she was spending a lot of time teaching the other
students the stuff that the instructor (who DID have a master's
degree) was getting wrong. She finally managed to get the instructor
relieved of her duties. But that's only because accounting is
not as squishy as English, oops, I mean Textual Studies.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com