Re: Posted Pay Ranges & Government Jobs

Subject: Re: Posted Pay Ranges & Government Jobs
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:31:43 -0500

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote on 12/01/2004 04:54:45 PM:
> they like to hire at the middle or under to
> allow headroom for economic advancement, but claimed they do try to be
> "competitive."

I'd like to raise the BS flag on this one. The only reason they like to
hire at or below mid-range is because they want to pay as little as
possible. They WANT it to be a little below mid-range because they want to
reduce their mean pay. They don't offer too far below mean pay because
they could never justify trying to hire you and telling you that you're
below "average" for the position. The only way you should accept such a
brazen and obvious obfuscation is if they'll provide exact criteria for
advancing up the pay ladder.

Explain to them that you prefer your remuneration to be in the form of
cold hard cash and not meaningless cost of living increases that stand no
chance of ever moving you to the top of pay scale. Or see if they can keep
a straight face defending their "less is more" position when you thank
them for their concern about your happiness by paying you less but you'd
be quite content to suffer with the burden of a higher salary.

This is what happens when you have a conflict between union or corporate
job posting requirements and the realities of the job market and hiring
negotiations. If you want to truly negotiate, you can't reveal your range.
Buyer starts below bottom, seller starts above top, if negotiations go
well buyer offers over sellers next offer (or seller offers below buyers
next offer) and both are happy. Knowing the buyer's (the employer's) top
price just means that every dollar below top is a knowing gift from the
potential employee to the employer.

Now, in all fairness the current budget may not be able to support a hire
at the top range of the scale. Their current pay scale may also reflect
different market forces when employees could demand higher wages. But, if
that's the case they have a lot of explaining to do with respect to how
they'll keep you motivated on the job and how much performance they expect
from you. If their offer is lower mid-range, but competitive, does that
mean you can expect favourable performance reviews from lower mid-range,
but competitive, effort? How will they reward you if you put in long hours
and/or superior performance compared to others in the department when you
know that you are being paid less than a good number of the other
employees in the same bracket? If the scale is a result of different
market forces, what's the timeline/formula for the lower paid employees to
catch up to the earnings of the higher paid employees? And, that's the
same formula you'll be banking on if market conditions improve down the
road and your previously mid range of scale starts to fall back to lower
end of scale. No matter what the formulas, keep in mind that such systems
are designed to get everyone to mid-range of scale and you'll undoubtedly
never rise above the range of the scale as you were hired in. (But, you
can delude yourself into happiness every year because you get a raise.)

I'm not trying to be incendiary or confrontational, but these are the cold
hard facts.

I suppose this is one of those messages that should have been made
anonymously. Oh well, I'll risk it.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com