Re: Kovitz's "Practical Software Requirements" Was Re: expanding our range

Subject: Re: Kovitz's "Practical Software Requirements" Was Re: expanding our range
From: "Ben Kovitz" <bkovitz -at- nethere -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:06:00 -0700

Tony "Focused on the Essential Like a Laser" Markos wrote:

> I also read [Kovitz's "Practical Software Requirements"] a ways
> back. He is con DFDs. To bad. All Requirements Engineering
> techniques - except DFDs - have the same tragic flaw: Reliance
> on a forced artificial partitioning ("chunking" to us TWs) of
> the system. Such techniques will, especially for larger scale
> efforts, always result in incomplete and disjointed
> requirements - to the point of causing big problems.

Hey, I'm not against DFDs! I'm against force-fitting software
requirements to data-flow diagrams when data flows are just not
what it's about.

For example, you *could* spec out the details of a communication
protocol using data-flow diagrams. That might be an interesting
exercise for a 3rd-year student in comp sci. But it's no way to
spec out a communication protocol so programmers can implement
it and testers can verify that it's implemented correctly. A
good way to do it is with a state-transition diagram and/or
table. See, for example, RFC 1661, describing the PPP protocol:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1661.txt.

I think we're on the same side on this, Tony. The book is
really a diatribe against artificial partitionings ("force-fits"
in the book) plus a bunch of ways to partition complicated
things naturally and without losing rigor. A lot of folks who
make software for a living got really really mad at having DFDs
shoved down our throats when they had nothing to do with the
project. Some of us threw the baby out with the bathwater. I
recommended keeping flow diagrams as a natural way to describe
situations where stuff gets pumped from one thing to another,
each time getting transformed in some way.

Ben Kovitz
Author, Practical Software Requirements: A Manual of Content & Style
http://www.manning.com/Kovitz

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com