RE: Read-out of b/w and color pages?

Subject: RE: Read-out of b/w and color pages?
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:39:33 +0100

Geoff,

Thanks for the info! However, since we generate some 500-1,000 revisions
per year, I need an automated system to read out the information.
Currently, I am looking into the possibility to retrieve the information
from the XSL-FO formatting stream into the formatting engine.

We'll see how that goes.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager
www.flirthermography.com

> Mats Broberg wondered: <<To set prices for our manuals in our
> ERP system, we need to retrieve how many pages are b/w and
> how many are in full color - and, ideally, if two continous
> pages (odd + even) are both b/w or both full color. Our
> manuals are printed digitally, so that is the reason. Does
> anyone know of an Acrobat plugin that could retrieve this
> kind of information?>>
>
> I don't know of any Acrobat plug-ins, but here are a couple
> tricks you can try in most creator applications:
>
> - Print color separations--but to PDF, not to paper. (Paper
> works too, but why kill more trees?) Then skip through the
> PDF of the CMY plates, page by page, looking for any non-blank pages.
>
> - Based on the color swatches defined in your color palette,
> use the software's search function one color at a time to
> find each occurrence of that color. Build a table (color
> names as the column titles) to store the pages with each
> color. Jot down the page numbers in that table as the search
> function finds them.
>
> Both kludgy, but should work. If you're going to be doing
> this often, it might be worth investing in some form of
> imposition software.
>
> --Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca
> (try geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com if you don't get a reply)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com