RE: expanding our range and reference books

Subject: RE: expanding our range and reference books
From: "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:13:24 -0500

Hi Caroline,

I've only just started Managing Your Documentation Projects, so I can just comment on style. I like the way it's organized and written. I was fearing it might be written in an academic style, as Hackos is a PHD, but it is written according to good tech writing principles - logical sections, headings, plain language etc.

And I agree with Katherine that Hackos' attention to the different stages communications departments are at is valuable. It's a useful idea that the next step in improving a department depends on where that department is at already. It may be theoretically a good idea for everyone to convert to an XML system, but if your department doesn't yet have an editing process established, that would be a better first step for that department. I believe that's the idea anyhoo.

Reference books-Word for Dummies. I am switching to print from online, so that's it for me at the moment.

Thanks for all who contributed to this thread. Interesting...

Eileen Neumann