Temporary/Contract work

Subject: Temporary/Contract work
From: "Phillip St. James" <saint0 -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:15:44 -0800

What advice would you folks suggest for a senior tech writer/tech pubs
manager who has been underemployed and unemployed for many months?

I would like to work in software development or consumer electronics once
again. I have lots of solid, pertinent experience.

However, this job market has been brutal in the Silicon Valley area where
I'm now living again. (I spent 17 years working here after a UC Berkeley
(business and computer science) and Stanford (communication) education.)

Many jobs in my field seem to have been off-shored the last few years. What
can a 20+ year veteran tech writer do to keep the pot boiling and perhaps
make a little Christmas money?

I've worked for a virtual who's who of solid companies in my area, but I've
been working in Hawaii for the military the last 6 years. The tech bust has
wiped out almost all of my contacts and folks I worked with and for over the
years here in Silicon Valley...

Many of the new tech pubs gatekeepers seem to think that my API, chip
design, and Web experience are totally irrelevant now... I'm perplexed and
more than a little frustrated.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-phillip