Career Change for Sr. Network Admin

Subject: Career Change for Sr. Network Admin
From: "Julie Schneider" <julie -at- foss -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:22:36 -0800

Hello,

I'm contemplating a career change from downsized Sr. Network Admin. to Tech
Writer.
I have 20 years tech experience with a variety of hardware and software
platforms
and have a B.A. in English.

I've done some doc writing in Word for various systems I've administered.
I currently live in Oregon, but I'm considering relocating to the Bay Area.

In short, am I totally nuts to contemplate this change considering the
difficulty of finding
a job in this market? What skills should I "bone up on" to increase my
chances of finding
a job? Would an on-line tech writing course help? Can you point me to a
link on creating
a portfolio?

I'm willing to intern or take an entry level job. I believe I'd be much
happier
and have more natural talent writing on technical topics vs. continuing to
work in
Network Administration.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Julie Schneider

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com