RE: Self publishing

Subject: RE: Self publishing
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:21:53 -0500

If I may put my two cents in a bit belatedly, the big danger of
self-publishing is having the wrong idea of what you're getting -- and
not getting. I was in a fiction writer's discussion group many years
ago, in which one woman was excited because her book was going to be
published. Knowing the woman, and seeing a copy of the book, I realized
that she had gone to a subsidy publisher on the assumption that the book
was going to be marketed, distributed, etc., exactly as if it had been
bought by a regular publisher like Random House, etc.

On the other hand, as others have said, if you KNOW that all you get for
your money is a bunch of copies of your book dumped in your lap, and you
have a plan for marketing and distributing them, then it can work in
your favor. After all, one other thing you DON'T get with a subsidy
publisher is anybody telling you to rewrite your text according to what
will sell.