Re: Fwd: difficulties with the boss

Subject: Re: Fwd: difficulties with the boss
From: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:31:29 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

I think Bill hit on a key point: If I were in your shoes, I would identify a few things and then decide how to proceed.

1. Is the company itself and the job (outside of your immediate boss) worth staying for?

2. Is the problem a product of a sick organization, or the product of a sick individual? If it's the former, the situation is not salvageable. If it is the latter, it *may* be salvageable if you can find allies in HR and your boss's boss, as described in other posts. Document everything and be extremely specific if you take this approach.

3. Either way, see if you can't follow some of Michelle and Dick's advice and try to regain some control of the situation. While I'm generally an advocate of the "make your own reality" approach, I recognize that there are some organizations where you will simply cannot modify the process (personal experience). You should at least have a personal style guide that you follow. You can *always* set limits on how you will interact with others. Define your boundaries, refuse to engage in shouting matches. Stop the conversation if it gets out of control.

Good luck and keep your head up,
Lisa