Re: Usage of Check Box in Writing Documents

Subject: Re: Usage of Check Box in Writing Documents
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:54:36 -0800

Tech Comm.... wrote:

Hai Every one
Can any one clarify me the issue regarding Check Box

"Select Select All check box to delete all the fields. On disabling
the same, all selected fileds will be unselected."

Or

"Check the Select All box to select all the fields for deletion. On
disabling the same, all the selected fields will be unselected."

Which one is apt?

Is it "checking" or "enable" or "select" Check box?

Which word should I use.

Well, there's the "pick on and be cinsistent" school of thought.

Then there's the MMOS faction, where "select" and "clear" are the proper verbs to use with check boxes. (This is the one I generally adhere to.)

I'd probably rewrite the above to something less wordy, along the lines of:

Select Select All to select all the fields. Clear Select All to deselect all the fields.

"Select All" would be in bold. I'm assuming that this step is part of a procedure, something such as "To delete all fields," so I'd not include the prepositional phrase in the sentence. I might leave off the last sentence if it were true (it might not be if a user had first seleged some of the fields, then selected Select All because clearing it might return to the previous selections) and if i thought my audience would infer the fact easily.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com