Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation

Subject: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation
From: "Robyn Richards" <robynrrr -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 03:22:24 +0000

Hello all,
After spending some time thinking about this, I thought I would ask for some help.

I am in a difficult position at work.

I am the sole documenter in a software development company whose products are developing at an extraordinary rate. The work environment is geared towards getting new features out quickly. As a result, almost all of management's time is directed toward ensuring the development progresses smoothly.
This, however, does not extend to the documentation. Documentation issues seem to 'fall through the cracks', with nobody seemingly able (or willing) to do anything about it.

Although there is a lot of 'lip service' to the documentation (verbal "thank you's" from development managers and even an email expressing gratitude and support from the CEO), there is no practical backup for me as the documentor.

I have been trying to implement procedures to:
a) get the information I need to keep the information up to date, and
b) review the documentation,

but with little lasting success. Requests for assistance, direction or information to management go unheeded or, more accurately, are ignored (the implication being the requests are less important than other matters and 'we don't have time to answer them now'). Often it is the development managers undermining the 'fledgling' processes.

To make matters worse, there are no SME's who can verify the content - coupled with the 'unwillingness' of the developers to review, this could lead to serious problems with the documentation, with the responsibility lying squarely with me.

I am currently in the position where I don't even know to whom I report (the company I work for is a recent amalgamation of several software dev companies and is still in a state of flux).

Needless to say, I am floundering and have no idea how to get out of this situation.
Has anyone had a similar experience? How have you handled it?
Any thoughts?

TIA,
Robyn

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com