Pre-requisites for Help Documentation

Subject: Pre-requisites for Help Documentation
From: "Caroline Tabach" <Caroline -at- radcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:39:49 +0200

You need to sit with the programmers and learn how the program works, this is even more than using any type of document. They just provide the background, or details.
In our company we write the user guide and single source it to Help.
Other places do it differently.
If you have a user guide, then the easiest thing is indeed to convert it to Help.
Once you know how the program works, then you have to tell a person how to use it, as people said, screen by screen.
You have not provided much information, what type of help is required, WinHelp, Html help?
do you know what application you will be using?

____________________________
From: "Tech Comm...." <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:19:40 +0530
Can any body tell the pre-requisites for a Technical Writer to prepare
a help document?
I mean what are the docs or process involved????
I am jotting down what I am provided with in my company.
1. Knowledge Transfer =E2=80=93 On application developed.
2. Functionality Document [it talks about tables only and occasionally
validations] nothing about the fields.

TW's please let me know what is the industry process.
Caroline Tabach
RADCOM MarCom
e-mail: CarolineT -at- radcom -dot- com
http://www.radcom.com