RE: Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob

Subject: RE: Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:52:15 -0000

I just tried it, in a small test document using the following simple index
field

{INDEX \s chapter }

It worked fine.

It might be worth checking for silly things, like misspellings in the field
code or extra quotation marks that have crept in.

Is your copy of Word updated with all the service packs? I'm running
9.0.6926 SP-3, as shown on the "About Microsoft Word" dialog.

Ont other question that might spark a bit of a debate. Why are you using
chapter-based numbering in the first place? IMO, the only reason to use it
would be if the documentation is being distributed in ring binders, and
updated by sending out individual pages or chapters that are inserted into
the binders. This was the flower of documentation technology in about 1960.
I know of places which (largely out of inertia) still use it. But it is
unreliable and takes a lot of manual effort to keep copies up to date.

If you aren't replacing chapters this way, then I think that ucing
sequential page numbering through the document is much more user-friendly,
because if you look up something in the ToC or index, and then open the
document at some page, you instantly know by how many pages you have missed.
With chapter numbering, the first guess is more random because the user
doesn't necessarily know how long the various chapters are, and if the
user's first guess leads to the the wrong chapter, he doesn't know how many
pages to look back ro forward to be sure he gets to the right chapter, still
less the right page in the right chapter.

If you are operating a system of inserting updated chapters into binders,
then I would suggest that technology has moved on to the extent that more
reliable and cheaper alternatives are now available.

Regards
Jonathan West

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com