RE: Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob

Subject: RE: Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob
From: adf1972 -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:51:47 -0700

Hi Mr. West...

> I checked splitting it into 2 files, and it still worked.

Oh wow. Well, that's better than anything I've been able to do. I'm
thinking I might e-mail you offline and ask you to send *me* your test
docs.

> The file containing the TOC field contains the RD fields telling the TOC
> which files to reference. The file containing the INDEX field also needs to
> include a set of RD fields. Do you have them?

Yep, I have the RD fields in both the Index.doc and the TOC.doc files.

> Also, can you tell me the *exact* code of the INDEX field?

Geez, I started with the most basic version of {INDEX \s Chapter} along
with just about every permutation I could think of....{INDEX \s Chapter \d
"-"}, {INDEX \c 2 \s Chapter \d "-"}, among others.

> It might still be worth mentioning to someone. Standards should be there to
> ensure that things are done well. If they ensure that things are done badly,
> then they should be scrapped to changed. I accept that you probably don't
> have the power to do that yourself, but that doesn't mean the organisation
> should be stuck with bad practices for ever just because they are written
> down in standards.

I will mention it, definitely, but I'm a peon tech writer on a gov't
contract, and things on gov't contracts (esp. here) tend to change at a
glacial pace, if they ever change at all. And for the moment, I'm still
stuck with the current standard.

Anyway, thanks for your help again. I will try e-mailing you from my work
account.

Adrienne

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com