Re: Outsourcing Tech Pubs

Subject: Re: Outsourcing Tech Pubs
From: "tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:38:21 -0500 (EST)

>>There are number of leading new sites from USA where even basic grammar is not followed. And you are talking "what you pay what you get".<<

OK...to stay in the spirit of the Forum and not give the impression that I am trying to create a "rift," let me clarify. I know some outsourced projects are very successful and have created wonderful opportunities for some people in India, Phillipines and others. But in this case, I have seen the management try to outsource Technical Writing. Most writers will agree that is difficult to accomplish. The reason is that most of us work closely with engineers and work hands-on with the product, taking pictures, talking to technicians and writing procedures. That is pretty hard to do with an ocean between the writer and the engineer. Some companies are making this decision to outsource without regard to that important step. In that respect, they are losing quality in their documentation.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com