Re: Estimation of the number of pages to be written per day

Subject: Re: Estimation of the number of pages to be written per day
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:08:57 -0800 (PST)

Being a big Data Flow Diagram fan (a powerful tool for
organizing written documentation to be very
user-friendly), I feel I truly excel at creating
simple, straightforward documentation.
Unfortunately, more than once, the response that I got
from a manager was essentially, "This is so simple and
straightforward, I don't see why it took you so long."

Believe me TechComm Dood, the pain of such an
experience - of basically being punished for doing
good - is not something a one soon forgets. So, I
speak from more than hearsay.

Managers do not strive for high page counts, but most
often they do not recognize what an acheivment simple,
straightforward tech comm is. TWs often strive for
high page counts to impress and avoid punishment.

Tony Markos

--- TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

So mostly heresay, correct?

I ask because in every position I've ever held, page
count was never used as a measurement (except when
pricing translation or printing).

Sounds like there are no hard metrics to go by.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:13:49 -0800 (PST), Tony
Markos
> <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> > Based upon what I have read, experienced, and
> heard
> > from other TWs.
> >
> > Tony Markos
> >
> > --- TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not kidding in that request. How do you know
> > > that many or most
> > > managers and thus tech writers strive for high
> page
> > > counts based on an
> > > old TW saying?

http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com