Re: layout duties

Subject: Re: layout duties
From: Paul Goble <pg -at- pgcommunication -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:01:53 -0700

"Eric Bolton" <ERICB -at- marvin -dot- com> wrote:

> We currently use Quicksilver as our publishing
> software and have three "composition" people do our layout.

One thing which has been recently mentioned in other discussions on
management confusion regarding the difference between technical
writing and marcom (or "PR" or "advertising" or whatever your company
calls it). Although nearly all tech writers entered the age of
do-it-all-yourself desktop publishing around 15 years ago, many marcom
departments still seem to rely on strict division of labor as a means to
enforce corporate style and to ensure that multiple review cycles take
place. Does your management understand that the process of
creating a good manual is somewhat different than the process of
creating a good ad, or a good catalog?

For organizations with a marcom mindset, sometimes it's helpful
to start using the terms "post-sales literature" and "pre-sales
literature" to increase awareness of the distinction without upending
the organization.

Paul

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com