Happy New Year!

Subject: Happy New Year!
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:34:12 -0500

I'm just tickled that everyone here is SO in the holiday spirit.
Personally, I've had a wonderful season.

Based on some rather negative reviews I had decided to skip purchasing _Eats, Shoots, & Leaves,_ by Lynn Truss. But my son sent it along as a (don't want to offend anyone) secular holiday present. I'm halfway through it and find it delightful. I'm learning some things about punctuation that, despite over four decades as an editor, I didn't know before. I've even managed to overlook the typos, punctuation inconsistencies, and author's forgetfulness evident in the book--highly out of character for me--because I'm having such a good time. You'd think, though, that by the 22nd printing they'd have cleared up a few of the more obvious bloopers.

Now then, for all of you with personal problems this fine day, please keep in mind that you are far more fortunate than the UN-estimated 1.8 million tsunami survivors who need food assistance today, let alone the more than 120,000 who were killed. Those of us who do have that in mind are certainly uninterested in watching a catfight, however amusing that might be in other circumstances. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Now take back what you've said (privately, not here), kiss, and make up.

Regarding Paul's innocent, if unfortunately worded, query, let me just say to Paul that we're not always like this. The holidays are stressful for many people, and you'll just have to accept that we usually behave better around here. I found the initial response to Paul by Jerry Muelver gently amusing; it poked a bit of fun at the imprecision of the query without being nasty. As for the subsequent contretemps, I sincerely hope it's over.

Paul, the techwr-l site has lots of good features, especially articles that survey topics of general interest in a more thoughtful way than the daily list traffic usually covers them. I'm not much of a fan of the list archives, because I find that using the Google Groups Advanced Search is more convenient for me. However, opinions differ on this point; you may prefer the archives. If you want to use the Google approach, the group to search on is bit.listserv.techwr-l.

Best regards, and Happy New Year to all!

Love and kisses,

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com