RE: Multi-purpose / Single source

Subject: RE: Multi-purpose / Single source
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:29:05 -0600

> -----T.W. Smith wrote:-----

"Will, the conditional text enable quick rebranding?" Well, yes. But
> it has to be set up first. And, conditional text is limited to about 6
> conditions. FrameMaker variables will help, as well.

Hi T.W.,

I was wondering what you meant by Frame being "limited to about 6 conditions." I haven't been able to find anything in my Frame 7 documentation that mentions a limit to the number of condition tags that can be created or used at once, and I haven't run across any instances where I used too many conditions for FrameMaker to function correctly. Some of my text insets have 15 or more conditions applied to certain portions of text to account for different printer lines, different releases, or rebranding.

Conditional text is all very logical. Frame does exactly what you tell it to do, even if what you told it to do doesn't make any sense visually. As long as all of the text is tagged correctly, I daresay that the number of condition tags that can be used at once appears to be limited by the ability of the Frame user rather than by Frame itself.

Donna

Donna L. Jones
Technical Writer II
Zebra Technologies Corp.