Re: Opinions about datacenter usage

Subject: Re: Opinions about datacenter usage
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:56:23 -0500

They probably have you already happily overlooking phrases
like, "protocol alignment suboptimization strategy database
initialization procedure source," so you might just start
rendering those unfortunate noun clusters in the same bad
form as the "datacenter." Give them a
protocolalignmentsuboptimizationstrategydatabaseinitializationproceduresource
to think about. See if anyone complains.

Or maybe write everything in German, where not only are the
words jammed together to make new nouns, (for example,
Rechtsschutzversicherungsgesellschaften) but the verb often
at the end of the sentence appears.

The Internet of course also the word "Donaudampfschiffahrts-
gesellschaftskapitaensfrauenverbandsvorsitzendenaufwands-
entschaedigungsrahmenordnungsrichtlinienen" yielded. It's
not as bad as it appears, because the umlauts are rendered
with a following "e" as ae, oe, ue.

Feels like Friday, even though Monday fell on a Tuesday this
week.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:00:15 -0800, Diane Boos <dboos -at- u -dot- washington -dot- edu> wrote:

I'm on an assignment developing process document for a data center,
as well as the server documentation. Therein lies the problem. TPTB
don't want to use "data center," but datacenter, one word. I'll do
what the TPTB want, but I suspect that there is going to be lots of
flack from it. TPTB are all techie types.

Every time I type "datacenter" I cringe. I have mentioned Webster's
doesn't agree. I'd like some opinions on this before I buck them on
the changes. Has anyone seen "datacenter" in usage?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com