RE: Multi-purpose / Single source

Subject: RE: Multi-purpose / Single source
From: "Broberg, Mats" <Mats -dot- Brobergold -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:36:07 +0100

Jen Harvey wrote:

> Actually, FrameMaker can handle far more than 6 conditions
> (our templates contain about 54, though most chapters don't
> use more than 20, sigh...), but it's true that you do tend to
> go into cognitive overload if you have more than 6 conditions
> to apply to your documents, not to mention handing your
> documents off to third-parties/new employees. :)

Conditions is where XML (+ a Java condition-resolving sequence) really,
really shines!

In my manuals I work with 100-150 different conditions, in order to
generate model-specific manuals from a set of master manuals. I can
create the condition in a simply descriptive way, such as
"HAS.USB.CONNECTOR", which would surround, say, a table defining the pin
configuration for a USB connector. In a small configuration file for the
model-specific manual, I then state whether the condition
"HAS.USB.CONNECTOR" is true or false.

Since Java is used to resolve the conditions, Java syntax can be used
for complex Boolean conditions can be used. In one manual, a dimensional
drawing showing a small video lamp is surrounded by the following
condition:

(HAS.HANDLE.AND.RC || !HAS.HANDLE.AND.RC) && HAS.VIDEO.LAMP

which would mean that cameras which HAVE OR HAVE NOT a handle and remote
control, AND HAS the possibility to connect a video lamp will have this
dimensional drawing included.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager