Re: Why not Word97?

Subject: Re: Why not Word97?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:06:17 -0800

One thing I would add to Jonathon's suggestions is, as soon as you first
start up Word, look for an autocorrect option called "automatically create
styles from your formatting" and disable it before you open a single doc
file. This annoying "feature," which I first encountered when we upgraded
from Word 2000 to Word 2003, will read the formatting of any text that
doesn't exactly fit a predefined style and create a new style from it. If you
open a file created by one of your style-challenged predecessors who
manually formatted Normal text on the fly, you could end up with an
unlimited number of "styles" with names like "12pt," "12pt indented,"
"10pt indented bulleted," etc., etc., ad nauseum. I don't know WHAT
they were smoking when they came up with this one.

Gene Kim-Eng