Re: System for cleaning up legacy Word docs?

Subject: Re: System for cleaning up legacy Word docs?
From: Keri Morgret <kerilists -at- morgret -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:05:25 -0800

There is a third-party tool for Word that acts like WP's reveal codes. The product is CrossEyes by Levit and James (I have no connection with them, other than being a satisfied user).

Here's a couple of things I do to clean up documents, using Word XP/2003. First, in options, I tell Word to keep track of formatting. Then I open the styles and formatting task pane on the right side. I select Formatting in Use and get to see each format that's been applied. I can click the right of the formatting and select all instances of that formatting, to see where it shows up. I've found it useful to help see where there are slightly different settings for numbered lists or hanging indents - someone was trying to eyeball it and is slightly off in one set of lists as compared to another.

The other thing is I've created a toolbar button that clears all formatting. I highlight the stuff I want to reset, then hit the button, and many of my problems are gone.

I'd also suggested selecting the whole document and setting the language to English, in case Word thinks it recognized another language during some of the importing.

Keri Morgret

At 01:05 PM 1/5/2005, neilson -at- alltel -dot- net wrote:

The reason is that Word stores all the nasty formatting
information inside that final paragraph mark. (Umm, I'm
assuming that you ALWAYS have Word set for
tools/options/view/formatting marks/all
so that you can see what Word is doing to you.)

Unfortunately Word has nothing like Wordperfect's reveal
codes. Even if you think you know what it's doing, you
may still be wrong!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com