Re: Rumor about Framemaker - is it true?

Subject: Re: Rumor about Framemaker - is it true?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:24:14 -0800

Dick Margulis wrote:

Bruce, there is a real risk that the program would indeed become less usable--the very next time Microsoft introduces a new version of Windows. The impetus for the constant so-called upgrading of much application software--and I assume this applies to FrameMaker, too--is that older versions are incompatible with newer operating systems. And new hardware is invariably shipped with new operating systems.

But the same question also applies - especially applies - to operating systems. Why change operating systems if the current one meets your needs? Is the typical office really going to be improved because its machines run Windows XP as opposed to Windows 98? At times, sysadmins even view upgrading as a step backwards, because they've got all the patches for the old operating system, and, once they install a new one, they've got to start the process of plugging security holes all over again.

The problem is only very rarely with the new hardware. Possibly, you might not be able to use (for example) a USB flashdrive with Windows 98. However, usually, the CPU and printer will work just fine with an older piece of software. It's not as though productivity software's speed changes significantly with the CPU clockspeed, the way that some games do. For example, I know for a fact that my copy of FrameMaker 5.x runs just fine on this years' hardware.

I suppose that a time of diminishing returns arrives sooner or later. However, by getting off the upgrade treadmill, you can buy yourself several years' time to look around for alternatives.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l