Re: A wonderful new world

Subject: Re: A wonderful new world
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:07:22 -0800

Tony Markos wrote:

Hackos utopic ideal? Do you mean the TW getting tons
of direct contact with supper cooperative end-users
and/or SMEs - who eagerly take the initiative of
giving the TW all the juicy information that the TW
really needs to write great documentation, while the
TW just sits there and periodically say "uhh hu"? Is
that the ideal you are speaking of Bruce?

I'll have what he's having. ;_)

But, to be serious, no: I usually have that without much trouble. Once you understand geek culture, it's not that hard to get cooperation. And since I've had some open source URLs with my name on them, I've never had a problem.

I was thinking more along the line of the corporate support for documentation that Hackos envisions at the top levels of her views. Most of the corporate support I've received, I had to fight for.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com