RE: Comparison of XML tools for writing documents

Subject: RE: Comparison of XML tools for writing documents
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:32:59 +0100

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

> > With Epic, there's no import/export since it works with native XML.
>
> Complete rubbish. Epic still needs to process the data into
> and out of the editing environment. I don't see how it has
> much of an advantage in this case. The only advantage is the
> perception of seamlessness as the "save as XML" is the
> automatic default.

Far from "complete rubbish".

Software that works with, and fully supports, native XML files - as
opposed to software like Framemaker - does not "process" the data into
and out of the editing enviroment. They merely apply a screen stylesheet
on the XML data to make the editing more user-friendly. This does
nothing to the XML files themselves.

The advantages are clear - no read/write rules, no re-mapping of Unicode
to some propriety internal character encoding, no propriety internal
element definitions (like Framemaker's EDD) etc. It's a tad unfair -
both to fully XML / Unicode compliant software and to "me-XML-too"
software like Framemaker - to compare the both.

Framemaker may work very well for projects where issues like
translation, automation, and integration to other systems and workflows
are not very important. But it is not the way to go if these issues are
important and one is very serious about setting up an XML workflow. If
this is the case, the way to go is solutions that fully supports XMl /
Unicode - e.g. Epic Editor, XMetal, XML Client etc.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager
FLIR Systems AB

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com