Re: IE Security?

Subject: Re: IE Security?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:28:58 -0800

Bonnie Granat wrote:

I am mystified by the following Security Warning that appeared recently.
It's self-explanatory when you read it, but I cannot understand why it
appears. In other words, if a site is on my Trusted list of sites, shouldn't
XP just take me there? After all, what's the point of having a Trusted site
list? Or am I missing something?

A very basic security precaution would be to have sites on the list expire if you haven't visited them for a certain period of time. That way, you would be minimally protected against changes to the site that might make it less secure. That would be my first guess about what's happening.

An even better precaution would be to compare the existing page with a stored version, and show the notice when changes occurred. However, I've never heard that Internet Explorer does that.

Frankly, though, I don't think that trusted sites should be relied on. They might be useful in a secure setting, in which one security expert set them, and everyone else ran in limited accounts. But considering that most people run Windows in Administrator accounts, and are likely to add to the trusted sites list for convenience, they can be dangerous. They appear to offer security, but, if not constantly watched, they can actually be a vulnerability.

My personal preference in any operating system is to apply security tools across the board. This approach is both safer and easier to maintain.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com