Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Contracting

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Contracting
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:03:16 -0500

Like polls from many organizations, this one is broken. At various
times I may happen to prefer any one or more of the choices I've
labeled (1) through (7) below. The polling mechanism, though, won't
allow me that choice. At least this poll has a selection for "Other,"
but even that does not actually fit the complexity of my situation
and feelings.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:25:59 -0600, Lisa M. Bronson <lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:

> When contracting, I prefer to work:

(1) > * On-site, for access to people and equipment
(2) > * On-site, for structure and discipline
(3) > * On-site, for other reasons
(4) > * Off-site, to work when I want to work
(5) > * Off-site, cannot go there looking like this!
(6) > * Off-site, for other reasons
(7) > * It depends on the client
> * I do not do any contracting
> * Other/None of the above

Oh, there's one other interpretation that's also true for me.

> When contracting, I prefer to work: YES!

Right now, you see, I'm contracting, but my previous contract
just finished and no new one has come along yet. I will happily
take ALL of (1) through (6) for just about any client whose
check to my agent (or me) does not bounce.

Here's an elaboration of my thoughts on (1) through (7):
(1) My work always improves when I can talk to and help the SME.
(2) Posting my schedule, or maybe a list of delinquent reviewers,
on the wall of my cubicle can help work get done on time.
(3) If I am at work, someone else has to take care of any crisis
at the farm. A farm crisis can eat the whole day.
(4) If I work between 0400 and 0700 from home, then I gain three
hours to feed animals or mend fences--unless my wife discovers
me working, and says, "Oh, good. You're awake. We need to
talk about yesterday's farm crisis."
(5) Feeding animals and mending fences leaves me covered with mud.
(6) There are plenty of other reasons, but some of them get in the
way of doing any work, so sometimes this choice reverts back
to number (2).
(7) Sometimes the client does not have the equipment, and I then
prefer to work from home for reason number (1).

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com