Documentation by FAQ (was: Question marks in titles?)

Subject: Documentation by FAQ (was: Question marks in titles?)
From: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:13:55 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

At my new organization, the situation seems to have devolved until the FAQ is the de facto form of documentation. All product and service documentation is structured in FAQs. It is not purposeful, and I've found it very frustrating. Whenever any of the technical folks talk about documentation, they say things like, "Put it into the FAQ." Argh! Information is buried two or three levels deep; sometimes the user has to identify the category the question might be in before they can see the questions. On the surface, it *appears* to be task-oriented because the questions supposedly answer the user's need to *do* something. In reality, it inhibits the user's ability to find out how to do anything. (Part of this is the larger structure of our site, as well.)

We are going to restructure our approach and the FAQ for a given service, if there is one, will hopefully be closer to the actual purpose of an FAQ. This is all going to take some time, and probably we will encounter some resistance along the way. We have the mandate and the authority to take it on though, which is great. I really don't want to be part of perpetuating what I feel is an extremely useless form of documentation.

I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this. Alternately, if anyone has deliberately made a choice to document exclusively via FAQ, why did you choose and what benefit do you feel it provides?

Thanks,
Lisa