Online Help in Windows: Old writer catching up

Subject: Online Help in Windows: Old writer catching up
From: pierre2 -dot- goulet -at- rogers -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:09:44 -0700

Personal Background...skip to Questions if you prefer.

I'm new to this list. I was a tech writer for 12 years before branching
out into other fields. After 8 years, I'm back to writing.

The last significant tech writing I did is a collection of user guides for
a PKI product line. I used conditional text in Frame to produce the
Windows, UNIX and MAC versions of the same user guide. It was very
effective and I dare say, fun. I have fond memories of that time. It was
around 1996.

I also used RoboHelp to produce online help for the Windows applications.
I only discovered RoboHelp having having "hand" coded most of the help. Oh
well, better late than never.

Anyway, the details are sketchy but I think we referred to the help
environment as WinHelp.

Questions:
----------

Is WinHelp still used? I've been reading the MSDN site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/vsconHH1Start.asp

site and apparently, "Microsoft HTML Help is the standard help system for
the Windows platform".

Is that what you use for help for windows fat client applications? By fat
client, I am referring to a win32 app not a web app.

Thank you

Pierre

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com