RE: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)

Subject: RE: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:46:57 -0600

> -----Fred Ridder wrote: ------
>
> The approach you suggest will not produce the desired result
> because of a bug in FrameMaker's table sorting function. When
> you sort a table in FrameMaker all the markers in the table are
> deleted in the process, so the hyperlinking disappears.

Thanks for the info about the bug, Fred. That certainly defeats what I was hoping to do. Keeping the hyperlinks is a must because we deliver our documents primarily in PDF. You saved me a lot of time in experimenting with the table sort feature.

> If you want a TOC so be sorted in alphabetical order rather than
> in order of occurrence, what you want to use instead of the
> Add>Table of Contents command is Add>List Of...>Paragraphs
> (Alphabetical).

I didn't know that an alphabetical list of paragraphs was possible. Thanks for pointing that out. I tried generating the list with both the command and the description, but it sorted them all into one giant list that was double the length of the original TOC. Not quite, what I wanted, of course. If we give up on the idea of having both the command and the description in the Functional TOC and just keep the description (which is probably all that's needed anyway), the alphabetical paragraph list definitely is the way to go. That will keep us from having to insert markers with the exact text from each paragraph. Thanks yet again, Fred, for saving us that effort.

Just goes to show that even an old-time Framer can learn something. :-)

Donna

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com