Dress for success?

Subject: Dress for success?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:54:13 -0500

John Posada wondered: <<Hi, guys...I have a job interview for a consultant/right-to-hire technical writer position at very large company in NYC in the financial sector this afternoon. My question: I have several suits and two watches. The suits range from off-the-rack, that cost me about $200, to full custom that cost me about $900.00. All are the appropriate color/pattern for an interview.>>

I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask about this. I doubt I've spent $900 on my entire wardrobe in the past 10 years... and am secure enough in my career that I'll never work for a place that requires me to own a $900 suit. <g> Nonetheless, I've read up on this kind of thing to prepare for my own interviews in the past:

<<I also have two watches...one a standard Seiko and the other a Rolex.>>

And as a result, I bet you never know what time it really is for more than a day after setting your watches. <g>

<<My question...how do you dress? Do you dress in a respectful but modest fashion or do you go all out...custom suit, french cuffs, rolex, etc?>>

Sarcasm aside, the goal of dressing for an interview is twofold: To convey the impression that you are taking the interview seriously enough to treat it as the formal occasion that is is, and to make yourself sufficiently comfortable that you can relax and give a good show.

To me, the problem with the $900 suit and Rolex is clear: In the worst-case scenario, it tells the interviewer that you're overpaid (or at least paid more than the interviewer) and that you expect to be overpaid again. In the best-case scenario, it may gain you some minor additional points over the standard suit and watch. Allowing for that downside potential, go with the standard suit and watch: provided that both are in good shape (not too out of date, fit well, makes you comfortable), that's the conservative approach.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca
www.geoff-hart.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com