Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?

Subject: Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?
From: Kate Salm <kate_salm -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 04:58:49 -0800 (PST)

The group I work for used a method to test writing
skills that I thought worked really well (yes I am
prejudiced since I am the one that got the job). They
had the candidates send in two writing samples, and
each one had to be aimed at a different audience and
in a different style. Then they used the interview to
test how well we could verbalize our thoughts when
speaking. This way they got to look at both sets of
skills that are mandatory for my job.

The only argument against this is that I had time to
re-write certain parts and check for errors before I
sent it in. Doing it on-site would have tested my
ability to write something quickly and well and under
a certain amount of pressure.

Kate

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l