single-sourcing/robohelp/framemaker

Subject: single-sourcing/robohelp/framemaker
From: "Juliet Adlington" <Juliet -dot- Adlington -at- reuters -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:07:16 -0700

Hello

I've just joined the group and have looked through the archives and can't
find anything on my question. But apologies if I'm going over old ground.
Would appreciate being pointed in the right direction for information if I
am.

In my previous company we successfully used FrameMaker and WebWorks to
provide both pdfs and online help from a single source.

In my new company it has been suggested that we use RoboHelp to single
source. From my research I'm not sure that this is going to be very easy.
I get the impression that RoboHelp is more an online help creation tool,
rather than one to be used for single-sourcing. Also, we intend to move
from Word to FrameMaker and I really don't get the impression that
RoboHelp is very compatible with FrameMaker. RoboHelp for FrameMaker has
obviously died a death so that's out. When I contacted Macromedia they
told me that there is a plug-in, included in the latest version of
RoboHelp, that enables users to convert to mif and then import in to
RoboHelp.

After all that background, what I'm interested in finding out is:
- Has anyone single-sourced using RoboHelp? And what was the result?
- Has anyone had to import FM files in to RoboHelp? If so, I'd love some
details.
- Preferences for single-sourcing tools?
- Which online help formats people prefer; WinHelp now being outdated,
HTML Help getting old ...

Thanks

Juliet

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l