Re: Dress for Success - Conclusion

Subject: Re: Dress for Success - Conclusion
From: jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:26:15 -0700

> In one case, how I dressed cost me a job. However, the reason was that I
> was too well-dressed - which can be another problem in tech jobs.
>
> It was in the dot-com era, with a company where dressing down was the
> norm. I showed up in a suit, and I could practically hear the mental
> doors slamming shut. I later heard through the grapevine that my sense
> of the impression I made was accurate, too.
When having my second interview with Campbell Software in Evanston, IL, I
toured the office with the HR director. We ran into the president, Mike
Campbell. I was wearing my Structure lined charcoal-and-black pinstriped
suit.
HR Person: "Mike, this is Joe Sokohl, who's interviewing for the
documentation manager position."
Mike (to me): "I hope you own other clothes than just suits. Here, our
dress code is 'shoes or socks.'"
I assured him I did...and I got the job. One of the best I ever had, too.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com