Re: FW: RE:writing tests

Subject: Re: FW: RE:writing tests
From: sburnf -at- au1 -dot- ibm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:29:18 -0700

> When I was hiring university students for a student technical writing
> position, I would have them spend 30 minutes after the interview
> writing instructions for making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
>
> We then evaluated the "tests" based on writing ability, clarity,
> audience interpretation, layout, etc.

Who would be the audience for a set of written instructions on how to
make a sandwich?

> ...I thought it was a good measure of their ability to think quickly,
> evaluate audience (how much detail to go into), and to write to a
> deadline.

Presumably everyone involved--applicants, interviewers, and 98% of
Americans over the age of four--already knows how to make a peanut
butter and jelly sandwich. So how useful a test of TW ability is it
to write down a procedure you already know for an audience of people
who also already know it?

I can see how it might be useful as purely a test of writing, but I
can think of better tests that involve making the candidates stretch
just a little so that the ones with real TW aptitude have a chance to
shine.

Regards

Stuart Burnfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l