RE: Job Offer

Subject: RE: Job Offer
From: "Erika Yanovich" <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:48:46 +0200

Jennifer,
What happens when 'contractual requirements on the employers' part' are not kept? Were there any cases? Can you rely on the local legal system?
Erika

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I would say "OK," but I wouldn't say "pleased." They were there
to do a job, and this is a customary requirement. Understand, however,
that they were professionals sent by Western placement agencies, so
there were contractual requirements on the employers' part to allow
travel freedom. (This can't be said of some guest workers lower on the
feeding chain.)

The pay triple or quadruple what they could have made if they stayed
here, and if they are in the host country for longer than 18 months (I
think - could be wrong), it is virtually free from US taxes. So, when
the job is done, they are able to come back with a substantial windfall
and resume their lives.

Saudi Arabia, as an example, imports a great number of foreign workers
-- from ditch-diggers to engineers to truck drivers to doctors. A
couple of years ago, I read an article where the foreign worker
population was over 40% of the country's population as a whole. And
while this is becoming less of an option for Americans with the current
tensions in the area, many other nations rely on guest workers' money
coming home to support families as a major source of revenue.

And so while not being ideal, there is a sort of "hardship pay," as it
were.

Jennifer

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com