Re: Documentation and Master Plan

Subject: Re: Documentation and Master Plan
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:43:15 EST

To All,

Reference is made to the IEEE Project Management Plan standard:

IEEE Standard 1058.1-1987 for Software Project Management Plans (SPMP).

This document lays out the management of software/system development plans,
including 'recommended documentation.

However, this document does not define the:

Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for the Project

The WBS or project schedule should contain ALL of the tasks for the project.

In your case there should be a schedule that the R&D organization has
created. Somewhere in there should be a 'hook' for the documentation to be
produced.

The Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK) also deals with the
scheduling of projects. I believe that it does not concentrate on the
System/Software business, but on projects in general.

The Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University has defined
a Software Capability Maturity Model (SW-CMM) and successors. They also
have produced other documents that address the 'documentation' that should be
considered for a System/Software project.

It is a good starting point for the documentation that you are being asked
to produce, and the scheduling of the production of such documentation.

Hope this helps you and others who are caught in the dilemma of 'required'
documentation.

I have been through this 'adventure' so I know what you are experiencing.

Sincerely,

Harry

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com