Re: Expectations (possible rant - it IS Friday!)

Subject: Re: Expectations (possible rant - it IS Friday!)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:30:16 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>

So let me tighten up my statement:

- I doubt that "anybody" could produce a reasonably usable
product document for unfamiliar users doing unfamiliar tasks.

Certainly not "anybody," but anybody with product knowledge
could, so long as time and quality were not factors, i.e., nobody cared if the the spelling, grammar and organization were good as long as the information needed to use the product was in there somewhere. In most cases, developers know enough about what a product does to explain how it works, and users know enough about what they want it to do to be able to mine even really bad documents for what they need. That's may not be "reasonably" usable, but it is still usable.

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me here. So we're both
saying PM skills are necessary but they're not sufficient?

More or less, yes, but I'm also saying that writing skills
without PM skills are also not sufficient. Unfortunately, I have encountered many writers over the years who,
while able to write well, couldn't seem to deliver anything
on schedule unless someone rode them constantly to prevent
them from getting bogged down in wordsmithing.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com