Re: Quick Contractor Startup

Subject: Re: Quick Contractor Startup
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:12:13 -0500

Bryan,

A couple of tips from a contracting veteran.

Through your network of contacts, get a good small-business accountant
locally. He or she will be able to give you advice about how to set
up your business, keep your books and record your expenses, etc. This
will cost a few hundred bucks but will pay for itself ten times over
in your first year of operation.

You may well want to incorporate. Your accountant will be able to
recommend a decent attorney to help you with this. (Get an accountant
to recommend an attorney and not the other way around, in my
experience.)

Join a professional organization, such as the National Association for
the Self-Employed, so that you can buy health insurance at group
rates. Absolutely crucial.

Write me offline if you want to hear some war stories.

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:49:06 -0500, Bryan Johnson
<defenestrater7 -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I know that I need to check the archive and yes I'm doing that. However, :-)
> My employer has moved my position to another plant and I am left
> trying to pick up the pieces. I sent out a request for help to all my
> contacts and have received a flood of requests for contract work. This
> is great except for the small fact that I don't know diddly about how
> to set my self up as a contractor! Agghhh! Oh and frankly I'm scared
> Sh**less! I am a single parent and am freaking out a bit so bear with
> me. I'm meeting with some fellow entrepreneurs this week to gather
> information but I was hoping my wonderful friends here on techwr-l
> could help me out! Maybe point me to some resources or give me the
> benefit of their expertise? Please?
> Thanks for all your help, you may not recognize my new e-mail, but
> I've been here for a few years and this community has been my mentors,
> commiserators, teachers, friends and I am forever grateful!

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com