Re: Revisiting Frame vs. Word in light of new capabilities

Subject: Re: Revisiting Frame vs. Word in light of new capabilities
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:25:12 -0800

I think it is important to consider that these documents were,
according to the original post, previously done in Word. If
management needs to be "convinced to continue" using FM,
my guess is they were probably more or less satisfied with what they had in the Word versions, and the value of all the additional features added during the Word-Frame conversion is mostly in the eye of the writer/s. So I'll venture the guess
that the answer to your question is most likely, "none at all, and while we're at it, why is it taking so much time now to maintain all those extra things you stuck in there when we let you change the documents to this Frame thing?" If there
is the slightest peep of discontent from the translator or the
company's overseas field offices about a switch from Word,
I foresee the inevitable decision from on high to abandon
FM. So the answer to the original question of how to get
management onboard for FM is to first convince the other person/s who would have to make the switch from Word that
it would be in their best interests so that you will all be asking
management for the same thing. Management will be most
supportive of whatever will cause the least upheaval and
difficulty in a process they probably expect their document
team to handle without bothering them with decisions about
what SW to use.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>

the question to ask is how much time do they want to add to maintain the documents?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com