Re: RE: MS Word - Version number variable

Subject: Re: RE: MS Word - Version number variable
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:58:07 -0500

Why not just create a new doc property variable? (File > Properties - Custom tab) and replace the currently hard coded version numbers with doc property fields. When the version changes, you go into doc properties and change the value of the variable.

Or did you need something more complex?

-Sue Gallagher

> From: "Michael Collier" <mcollier -at- maryland -dot- com>

> What I was thinking of is initially defining the style with a variable
> that is the current version number - say 11.0 - and that when it comes
> time to change the version number to 11.1, I would just change the
> variable which would be part of the style definition to 11.1, and all text
> using this character style would be updated. I would only use the
> character style on text where the version number is mentioned. I hope I've
> clarified the problem. Maybe there is an easier way or different way to
> think about this.
>
> Of course I'd initially have to find and apply the new style to all
> instances of the current version number, but once applied the version
> number would be changed by changing the style or variable definition.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com